Property Tax Information


Whether you are a first time home owner or an investor acquiring several parcels of property, the property tax system in the State of Michigan can make a significant impact on an operating or household budget.  Many times, property taxes can radically increase following the transfer in ownership or decrease due to the property becoming a full-time residence.

No matter the situation, it is important that taxpayers are well educated as to the impact property taxes can have.  As tax amounts can vary greatly from one property to the next depending on the value, age and number of years the current owner has possessed the property, it is best to contact the local unit assessor to find out how taxes are computed and to file for the Principal Residence Exemption available to Michigan residents that own and occupy a homestead in that city or township.

It is important that is information is up to date, so if you need to file for a Principal Residence Exemption or you need to rescind (remove) that exemption because the property is no longer your full-time residence, you should also contact your local unit assessor.  The City of Gladwin has provided the following forms with directions for your convenience.

Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit

Request to Rescind/Withdraw Homestead Exemption


If you are a property owner, you will not be charged to access your record card, however, a $2.00 charge is applied to other parcels.  If you have questions regarding property within the city and you cannot find the answer on our website or you need general tax law information, please contact Bernadette Weaver, Gladwin City Assessor at (989) 426-9231, Extension 104 or e-mail at


The State of Michigan website at is also at your disposal for various laws pertaining to property taxes and various information contacts at the Department of Treasury and Michigan Tax Tribunal.